Today we were going through all of the new Monday morning listings and it was so funny to see some of the photos. Apparently everyone thinks it is 2005 all over again. All you have to do to sell a house is put a sign in the yard and the buyers will come flocking. Well as a SUPER active buyers’ agent I can tell you that our Diva Dwellers and OTHER buyers are super savvy. They are not going to go and look at any old shit hole. And they are for sure as hell not going to compete for a house if it is dirty and smells of old socks.
We thought it would be fun to put together our Top Ten List (House Selling Tips) of making your house look awesome so EVERYONE wants to put an offer on it.
- Do the Dishes – I know you were in a rush and left the smoothie machine out. Sorry favorite real estate pro but the frozen blueberries were stuck everywhere. The dishwasher is a great place to stash the dishes until you get home.
- Leave the Lights On and the Blinds Up – Make it easy for the buyer’s agent to sell your house. The last thing you want a buyer agent to do is to run through your house turning on lights and pulling up the blinds. It distracts them from focusing on the good points of your house.
- Garden Mulch – There is nothing like fresh mulch to make your house look like a show pony. Mulch does wonders for the photos. And it highlights the fabulous landscaping while hiding all of those pesky weeds.
- Remove the Box of Tissues from the Computer – Don’t make me have to explain why!
- Deep Clean the House – This should go without saying. But I cannot tell you the number of houses I have been inside there are yuck. Buyers look in every drawer and closet.
- Hide Your Unmentionables – Financial statements, the swing your daddy bought you, jewelry, collection of German P@!n, pills, etc. Basically anything that is easy for someone not so nice to take and/or a potential buyer might not understand.
- De-Clutter – Chez Diva is packed to the gills with paperwork and random arts organizations cards. I love looking at them. But frankly I am probably the only person who likes to look at post cards my friends have sent to me. A buyer wants to think about the house and NOT your stuff.
- Personal Photos – I don’t know why but I often see GIGANTIC photos of people at their weddings. Majority of the time it is the owners only art. Now I understand you love each other. But once again we want our buyers to think about the house and not about the people who currently reside in the house. Real art is awesome to collect and not that expensive. Go buy some!
- Make the House Smell Awesome – My secret trick for homes is to buy packets of apple cider mix and let it simmer on the stove. Makes the whole house smell homey and delish. Scented candles and plugins do not have the same effect. Some people are super allergic to unnatural scents. So you want to be careful. The other thing is DO clean kitty’s litter box every day!
- Clean Up Toys (Fidos and Kiddos) – Personally, I am a talker and have been known to trip right over someone’s truck while showing a house. I know it is tough when you have kids and pets but it is really important.
Hope you found these house selling tips useful. Share below if you have some others tips and tricks that a savvy seller should know about to sell their home for lots of money.